The Pololu Wixel is a general-purpose programmable module featuring a 2.4 GHz radio and USB.
You can write your own software or load precompiled, open-source apps onto the TI CC2511F32 microcontroller at the heart of the Wixel, turning it into a wireless serial link, data logger, or whatever you need for your current project. With 29 KB of available flash and 4 KB of RAM, the Wixel is even suitable as the main controller for a robot or other system. This version ships 0.1" male header pins included are soldered in.
The Wixel is based on the CC2511F32 microcontroller from Texas Instruments, which has an integrated radio transceiver, 32 KB of flash memory, 4 KB of RAM, and a full-speed USB interface. A total of 15 general-purpose I/O lines are available, including 6 analog inputs, and the 0.1" pin spacing makes the Wixel easy to use with breadboards and perfboards. These features give you three main ways to use this general-purpose module:
- Directly connect the Wixel to a PC to create a wireless USB dongle.
- Add USB connectivity to your project via the Wixel.
- Add wireless capabilities to a remote, self-powered device.
A single Wixel can be used as a computer-interface device, such as a USB-to-serial adapter, and it can even serve as the main controller for your system. Connecting the Wixel to a computer requires a USB A to mini-B cable (not included). Two or more modules are required to take advantage of the Wixel’s wireless capabilities.
The Wixel features a built-in USB bootloader that can be used in conjunction with our free Wixel Configuration Utility software to upload custom programs or precompiled, open-source apps to the Wixel (no external programmer is required). Our growing selection of free apps lets you turn the Wixel into whatever you need for your current project. No programming experience or compiler software is required to use these apps: simply download a different app to reuse the Wixel in your next project! We plan to release additional apps in the future for wireless AVR programming, wireless sensing, wireless motor driver interfaces, and more.
- Full-speed USB
- 2.4 GHz Radio with 256 available channels that can be configured dynamically
- Programmable through USB bootloader (no external programmer required)
- Pre-compiled, open-source apps available
- Wixel SDK for developing your own applications in C using open source tools and libraries
- 0.1" pin spacing (compatible with standard breadboards and 0.1" perfboards)
- 3 indicator LEDs
- 15 user I/O lines, featuring 6 analog inputs, 2 USARTs (for serial or SPI), and 7 timer channels (capable of PWM)
- 4 KB of RAM and 29 KB of application program memory (flash)
- Operating voltage: 2.7 – 6.5 V
- Operating current: up to approximately 30 mA (can get down to ~100 μA when in sleep mode)
- Frequency: 2400 – 2483.5 MHz
- Range: approximately 50 feet (under typical conditions indoors)
- Bit rate: programmable, up to 350 kbps
- Effective data rate: up to 10 KB/s
- Size: 0.7" × 1.5"
Available apps using Wixel goto Pololu.com/docs/0j46/9.